Wednesday, February 10, 2016

My first impressions of Narva

15 of October of 2015. This was the day I arrived to Narva, Estonia. After 3 hours of trip by bus, i just arrived late on that day. The bus station was not as i expected for a 53 000 population city, just an open space with a small "ticket shop" at the side of the train station. Can't say it was a good first impression, cause that moment just made me think about the possibility of an empty city. The city seemed realy different from my home place in Portugal (and glad it did, otherwise i wouldn't come here) low buildings, all with the same caracteristics (im not very good describing architecture). After 4 months naturally it didnt change. This was just my first quick impression. Why quick? because at my arrival i had 3 people receiving me, giving an amazing welcome to Narva. Julia, with whom i had the chance to meet in Iceland in my previous experience and the person who told me about this oportunity and my supervisor, Vassily, who i meet in Iceland too, and my EVS coordinator, Natasha. From that moment i felt i was going to have the most amazing support here, and after 4 months here, i can say i was not wrong at all. Arrived to my flat, which seemed a cosy place to live and meet my flatmate Teresa from Italy. After a time we moved to another flat (realy like it!), but thats a detail. On the first Monday, 3 days after arriving, started to know my organization and my working project place, meet new amazing people, and from the first moment i felt it was going to be a good experience. And again, after 4 months here i was not wrong. As expected, the most dificult was the russian language, and the way i needed to build bridges in communication with locals, and after 4 months its realy in a good level (at least i think so :)), thanks not only to our Russian Language Teacher but also to everyone who makes an effort to talk and try to understand when you try to speak russian.

What am I doing in Narva? What i am working on? Thats for a next post :)

Miguel

No comments:

Post a Comment